8/19/2013

What Happiness Really Means

I met the Grandmom in this photo on my way traveling to the countryside the other days. I saw her going through all the trash cans on the side of the road. She looked very old as her wrinkly skin sagged under the skinny bone and muscle. I immediately felt sorry for her and asked myself many questions about her life like if she was homeless, if she had mental health problems, what her age was...

My friend and I stopped for a short break and a cold tea at a small tea shop by the road. The image of the Grandmom got stuck in my head. A few minutes later, she passed by us. She looked like she was very thirsty so we offered her some cold tea and some small đồng Our short conversation begun from there. She is a 86 year old woman. She lives around the area. Her husband passed away quite a few years ago and so did her good friends her age. Her children are growing up people now and they do have a good living in this area. She always feels bored and lonely when she just stays around the house. She finds the real pleasure when she spends her time at temples and pagodas.
She said, " I find the real pleasure when I spend my time in pagodas."
She collects all of this recycle items from trash cans to sell and all the money she earns would go to the donation at the temples. This makes her happy. I listened to her like I could shallow every word coming out of her. I felt touched and non of my thoughts before about her life was incorrect. Looking deeply inside of her eyes, listening carefully her tone of voice and feeling from the bottom of my heart the way she expressed her feeling, I indeed knew she was truly happy. This made me happy.

So, what is really happiness? According to the Word definitions, the word "happiness" is a state of mind or the personal feeling characterized by pleasure, delight, love, contentment, enjoyment, joy, satisfaction and entertainment all together. Our life has so many meaningful things. Every one of us constantly searches for happiness in our life, so they can be happy. We all have different ways/ideas describing our happiness. Or, some may have unique ways/ideas to make them happy.

I have to say the Grandmom I met today indeed has an unique way to reach and achieve her happiness.  Then, I wonder happiness means to me. One of the things that makes me truly and simply happy can be a little odd to many people who I know, but I love just being close to nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment